If you’re looking for a quick, easy, and cheap dessert, then you’ve come to the right place! Hobo pies are probably one of the easiest (and tastiest!) desserts out there, and they don’t cost a lot to make!
The method and equipment is the same no matter what flavor pie you plan on making. Here’s what you need:
A hobo pie maker, like this one here (or a couple of them!)
A hot fire and coals
Tongs to remove the pies
Ice to cool the pie maker down in between uses
Ingredients can be whatever you want! Here are a few basics and some ideas:
Pie crust dough (the kind in the tube works perfectly!)
Plain white bread (or whatever kind you want)
Pie filling-fruit(canned or homemade!)
Pie filling-chocolate or pastry cream (can be found in bulk stores or the dessert aisle at grocery stores)
You can use whatever filling you want, as this method is super simple and versatile! Ready to make your hobo pies? Great, here’s how!
- Step One: Make sure your fire has lots of hot coals. Prep your hobo pie maker by giving a very light spray or wipe of canola or vegetable oil.
- Step Two: Gently press the dough into both sides of the pie maker, leaving some on the edges–this will help it to bind together and seal when cooked. If you’re using bread, place one piece on each side and press in to fit the mold.
- Step Three: Spoon some filling into one side of the pie maker. If you do both sides, there will be too much and it will spill out when you close the pie maker.
- Step Four: Close your pie maker and press tightly. Place in the hot coals for about 2 minutes and then flip for another 2. Repeat this until the pie is golden brown and lifts on at least one side when opening the pie maker.
- Step Five: CAREFULLY remove the pie. If you want to make more right away, chill the pie maker in an ice bath for a few minutes until you can touch it. Repeat!